Hi, i'm Laurie!
Software Engineer,Entrepreneur & Gaming Enthusiast.
I am a freelance Software Engineer with a passion for creating websites,mobile apps and games.
CityCurrently residing in Auckland,NZ
Bachelor of Information & Communication Technology
UCOL Palmerston North (2 Year)
I completed my first two years towards a Bachelor of Information & Communication Technology at UCOL in Palmerston North.
Bachelor of Information & Communication Technology (Cont..)
Whitireia New Zealand - Auckland (1 Year) - Graduation Dec 2014
I completed my final year towards a Bachelor of Information & Communication Technology in Dec 2014. After graduating,I had accumulated fours years of Industry experience working as a Software Engineer.
Lead programmer & Software Architect - View - Jan 2011 - Sept 2014
Grabaprice is an online price quoting service which provides free business leads to suppliers and makes the process of finding goods and services easier for buyers.
- Adapted a pre-existing Wordpress theme to fit new functional business requirements.
- Responsible for bug testing,bug fixing & code base maintenance.
- Server (VPS) set up and maintenance.
- Responsible for creating useful & readable documentation.
The Open Polytechnic
Intern Mobile App Web Developer - Dec 2011 - March 2012
The Open Polytechnic is New Zealand's leading distance learning provider. Each year over 34,000 mainly adult students enrol with Open Polytechnic to gain the skills they need to help them progress in their current career or change to a new one.
- Fixed term Internship at the Open Polytechnic in Wellington.
- PhoneGap & jQuery used to port an existing SilverStripe CMS website to native mobile iPhone & Android OS apps.
- SCRUM methodology used to plan iterations & control the project scope.
- Responsible for creating readable and useful documentation.
Web developer & designer - Jan 2010 - Apr 2012
i3 supply and distribute printers & computer equipment to local businesses directly from HP.
- Created and designed an inventory management system in PHP and MYSQL to control/calculate stock margins and finance rates.
- All product information uploaded via CSV’s exported directly from supplier databases.
- System was able to keep a backlog of product history, documents, images and product descriptions from various supplier categories.
- Responsibilities included MYSQL Database design and implementation, web development, testing and bug fixing.
- I was responsible for creating readable and useful documentation.
Analyst Programmer - View Sept 2012 - 30 Apr 2014
Vestastore is an e-commerce platform which allows suppliers to instantly upload products/product information to an e-commerce directly from their stock management systems. It allows users to store thousands of products, Images, Documents,Videos, User logins and roles, custom pricing and other product information in the VestaCentral database which are uploaded via .CSV files exported from a customer’s pre-existing stock management system.The users can also view orders, create custom pricing, authenticate users and update their current e-commerce site within VestaCentral.
- Created a multi-store e-commerce platform from a pre-existing DNN CartViper module, which is hosted on multiple portals and connected to a single SQL database.
- Investigated the CartViper SQL database and ASP.net front end functionality to then write custom SQL Server 2012 scripts, triggers, views and stored procedures to automate the process of setting up and populating a new e-ecommerce store at the touch of a button within an in house product called VestaCentral.
- Set up a complete MS Server 2008 development environment on an in house server.Duties included testing software, fixing bugs, and creating readable and useful documentation.Maintaining servers, SQL databases and code base.
Web Developer - April 2014 – June 2014
Pencilcase offers one-on-one, in-home tutoring for high school students throughout Auckland and Wellington central. Our network of fully trained and supported tutors covers all high school subjects, both NCEA and Cambridge.
- Web design and development (CSS, HTML, PHP, Wordpress)
- Responsible for planning and creating a Wordpress CSM to meet client requirements.
- MYSQL database design and implementation.
- Duties included testing software, fixing bugs, and creating readable and useful documentation.
- Server configuration & maintenance.
Game Developer - Play (Safari or FireFox required)September 2014 – Dec 2014
Game Loft are the Industry leaders in mobile game development.
- The project was developed to re-create a prototype of the successful game Flappy bird. To better understand the success of this title, I have been given the task of re-creating the original game using Unity 3D’s game engine. A new version of Flappy Bird was re-created, re-branded and renamed to create a new version of the original game which can be analysed and studied to identify key characteristics that make mobile games successful and popular among mobile phone gamers.
- The game has exactly the same game play as the original Flappy Bird although it looks completely different.
- The game was be designed for mobile devices and runs on the Android OS.
- Note: This project was undertaken as part of an academic requirement and was developed for learning purposes only. The project sponsor was Greg Herboek - Creative Director at GameLoft I was awarded an A+ for this project
Term Contract - View - Febuary 2015 – Oct 2016
I was tasked with developing a website for Tradescoach NZ which would serve as an online learning resource for Tradesmen who run their own businesses.
Tradesman are able to sign up to the website and recieve three free emails to trial the subscription.
Tradesman can then decide to purchase a monthly subscription and gain access to video and course content through Tradescoach Academy.
Admins can easily add new video and course content to the site without the need for code.
Strange World Org (In Testing)
Contract - View - April 2016 – October 2016
Strange World is an online environment to listen, share , converse, stimulate and inspire.
Strange World is an online web application that allows student to showcase thier music online.
Student can register for an account and create a profile to display thier songs and videos to the world.
Students can apply to have any of thier uploaded songs and videos mentored. Once the admin recieves mentoring request, they can then assign a suitable mentor to the song.
The mentor will recieve a notification allowing them to view the students profile and accept or deny the invitation.
Once a mentor has accepted a mentoring invitation, they can converse with the student in a real time chat application build into the web app.
- Songs and Videos are uploaded via the SoundCloud and YouTube API's on Strangeworld.org's platform.
- Custom Development of Wordpress Theme to suite the needs of the client(HTML,CSS,PHP,Wordpress)
- Duties included testing software, fixing bugs, and creating readable and useful documentation including User Guides.
Contract - Website Front End Development - April 2016 – September 2016
My role included but was not limited to creating web component using React.js. which could update and retrieve json data from an exteral API.
My role also included bug fixing and maintenance of the existing app
- ES6 and React.js component driven front end development
Contract - View Consulting and Developement of existing site - Feb 2016 – October 2016
I was tasked with creating a new theme based on an existing site using the Silverstripe FrameWork. This involved creating a new theme from design files and intergrating that theme with existing functionality.
70% CompleteCommunication 90%
90% CompleteLeadership 90%
85% CompleteConfidence 85%
80% CompleteSelf Management 80%
85% CompleteAdobe Photoshop 60%
65% CompleteDotNetNuke 65%
85% CompleteGIT 85%
70% CompleteWindows Server 2008 70%
70% CompleteWordpress as a CMS 95%
60% CompleteUnity3D 60%
45% CompleteVisual Studio 45%
90% CompleteHTML5 / CSS3 90%
90% CompleteWebpack 60%
60% CompleteReact.js 60%
90% CompleteBootstrap 90%
90% CompletePHP 90%
65% CompleteC# 65%
65% CompleteWordpress development 95%
75% CompleteSQL 75%
90% CompleteMYSQL 90%
50% CompleteAndroid Java Development 50%
50% CompletePhoneGap 50%
50% CompleteLaravel 5.2 MVC framework 65%
I have always had a passion for games.At the moment,I am learning Unity3D.I hope to eventually specialise in motion capture gaming. To achieve this goal, I have joined a film club and will continue to learn to code my own games in my spare time.
Hackernest Auckland Co - Organiser
I am a organiser for Hackernest, Auckland. Hackernest originally started in Toronto, Cananda as a fun and relaxed way to meet other technology enthuists in your area.
Hackernest Auckland meets once per month to talk about new technologies and cool new projects.
We currently have over 400 members and counting.
You can view our meetup.com page Here
A form of self-defence and physical training, first developed by the Israeli army in the 1940s, based on the use of reflexive responses to threatening situations.Krav Maga offers me mental discipline & motivation to keep going even when I am physically exhausted.
I love technology and I spend quite a bit of my spare time working with Tech start-ups to create innovative software solutions.Tech start-ups are the reason I decided to go into Software Engineering.I am a big believer in Disruptive Innovation.Software is unique in that innovative programmers can disrupt entire industries all over the world while sitting at home,on the couch with a laptop.
Some Previous Work
Get found by Xplorers wanting to support local crafters, artists, creators and producers.